Hands up those who like halloumi
I really like halloumi but it’s not something I had ever eaten a lot of. My first experience of it was only a few years ago, 2011, whilst in Cyprus for my best friends wedding. I had it a few times for starters at restaurants and was rejoicing at this wonderful cheese.
However, since then it has been nowhere near anything I have eaten. Halloumi went totally off my menu. That was until recently when my best friend Jane started buying it to eat at home. She loves halloumi, so I thought I’d check it out during my weekend food shop. When I bought it I decided to try making a homemade version of Leon’s halloumi wrap. Not the exact same, though.
That’s a wrap
All I really remember of Leon’s halloumi wrap is that it had a tomato salsa sauce and salad greens. I wasn’t going to dissect their wrap any further by researching what was in it. So I just decided to throw in nice healthy things so it would become my own wrap. So here is my recipe. Hope you enjoy.
- Chopped tomatoes
- Halloumi (crucial)
- Mixed salad leafs
- Tortilla wrap
- Chop onions.
- Fry onions with a little oil on a slow/medium heat.
- Cut halloumi.
- When onions start to cook through/go soft add chopped tomatoes and increase the heat.
- Place a new pan over a medium/high heat. Keep the pan dry (no oil).
- Add Halloumi once other pan is hot. Keep a close eye on so the cheese does not burn.
- Season the tomato sauce. Turn down the heat and let it simmer for a few minutes then remove from heat.
- Prepare the wrap. Add salad leafs, pieces of avocado and tablespoon of your tomato sauce.
- Turn the Halloumi.
- Once you are happy both sides of your Halloumi pieces have been browned remove from pan. Dry off excess fat/oil with a kitchen roll. Add Halloumi to the wrap mix.
- Tuck in both sides then wrap tightly as possible.
Do you do anything special with Halloumi?
Have you had a Halloumi wrap before?
No need for postcards, feel free to leave a comment…